Dell PowerVault MD3820i 10Gb iSCSI Array
Consolidate and manage data over your network with simple, affordable and reliable enterprise-level 10GbE iSCSI technology
The Dell PowerVault MD3 iSCSI array series offers 10Gb Ethernet iSCSI SAN solutions that are ideal for entry-level storage consolidation in virtualized environments that require high availability and high performance without sacrificing ease of use. Designed for flexibility, the MD3 iSCSI array series support a range of drive types, enclosures and RAID levels all within a single array.
10Gb Ethernet-based network storage
PowerVault MD3 iSCSI arrays offer exceptional performance and flexibility for storage consolidation and scalability to meet your business demands. Now it’s simple to improve storage utilization by combining storage resources, increasing availability with redundant hardware, and streamlining the backup process.
iSCSI storage, ideal for virtual server environments
Implement your high performance network storage solution for less with MD3 iSCSI array series using low-cost 10GBASE-T Ethernet technology. Along with significant savings in hardware, IP SANs can also lower training investment. Ethernet is a familiar technology, so there’s usually no learning curve.
Now you can effectively consolidate storage to support the value of your virtual environment with the performance to meet both IOPS-intensive as well as high bandwidth applications. MD3 storage systems are fully-qualified for use in virtualized application environments with VMware ESX and Microsoft Hyper-V software.
Keep pace with the latest technology
MD3 iSCSI arrays offer maximum performance and capacity at an affordable price. They easily handle the application demands of large databases with increased processing capability. These arrays also support solid-state drives (SSD) to meet the most demanding I/O requirements. An optional High-Performance Tier (HPT) feature is available to increase array I/O and throughput performance and enables the SSD cache feature to improve your read performance by storing frequently read data and making it quickly accessible. A maximum of 16GB cache is available with the dual controller option, leveraging 8GB cache per controller.
Gain a new level of management efficiency
MD3 iSCSI arrays are managed by the advanced MD Storage Manager software, an intuitive client-based Java application designed for easy user interaction with the system no matter what your level of familiarity with storage systems. It offers two different management paths and features an enterprise window that monitors multiple arrays through a single interface.
With the MD Storage Manager, all administrative tasks, including configuration, reconfiguration, expansion, maintenance and performance-tuning, can be performed without system downtime or interruption to array performance. MD Storage Manager’s configuration flexibility includes the ability to mix RAID levels, segment sizes, array sizes and cache policies all within a single storage array.
Deployment scalability and flexibility
Scale easily: Up to 64 servers can be connected to a single MD3 10Gb iSCSI array. Storage capacity can be expanded up to a base of 120 hard drives1 on all MD3 iSCSI models. If additional capacity is needed, the 2U models can scale by simply hot-plugging additional PowerVault MD1200 or MD1220 expansion enclosures to grow capacity up to 192 hard drives.1 4U dense arrays can scale up to 180 hard drives1 in just 12U using two MD3060e expansion enclosures.
Mix and match drives: 2U arrays hold up to 12 x 3.5” or 24 x 2.5” drives, and support additional expansion through the MD1200 enclosure (12 x 3.5”) or MD1220 enclosure (24 x 2.5”). Both the 4U dense array and the MD3060e expansion enclosure hold up to 60 hard drives (3.5” and 2.5”).
Premium features are now bundled into two options. One option is designed to support the high demand for performance and includes the HPT feature. If protecting data is a priority, then the prepackaged Data Protection features ensure the full suite of premium data protection options are available.
- Snapshots: Supports up to 128 snapshots per virtual disk and a total of 512 snapshots per system in the Premium Feature Key, which provides additional data availability.
- Virtual disk copy (VDC): VDC is full copy of an existing virtual disk at any point in time, often used for decision support and application development testing. Reads and writes are supported while doing a virtual copy.
- Self-encrypting drives (SEDs): With SEDs, if a drive is removed from the array or powered down, the data on that drive is encrypted and useless to anyone who attempts to access it without the appropriate security authorization.
- HPT: Meet the most demanding performance requirements for your organization to remain productive and competitive.
- SSD cache: Helps improve performance when combined with the HPT option, supporting up to 5TB data with the 8GB cache controller.
- Remote replication: Asynchronous replication of data over a common IP network increases the flexibility of backing up data.
Reliable storage is enhanced with software features that provide added data protection, improved virtualization and ease of management. The integration of VMware VAAI helps improve performance where you need it, freeing your server from storage related tasks. Dynamic Disk Pools (DDP) simplifies data management and improves storage efficiencies with self-healing dynamic disk rebalancing, without the worries of traditional RAID configurations. With just a few clicks you can add or delete disks from DDP to increase or decrease your pools size as needed. DDP supports up to 20 disk pools and can support up to 120 SSDs.
Other software feature enhancements include thin provisioning, vCenter Plug-in and enabling VASA and SRA. The high density models have standard features to ensure high performance for general purpose computing or applications with high bandwidth requirements, including HTP and SSD cache.
Consolidate with high-performance, high-capacity storage
Simplify the challenges of large-data storage, management and access with the high-speed PowerVault MD3 10Gb array series. The 10GbE arrays are ideal for iSCSI storage consolidation that requires high availability, high performance and business continuity without sacrificing ease of use and reliability. Designed for versatility, the array series supports a range of drive types, premium software features and a choice of 2U or high-density 4U chassis.
Get affordable enterprise-level performance
Take advantage of the enhanced features offered on all PowerVault MD3 arrays, including the latest generation of 10GbE iSCSI models.
- Controller options: 16GB total* for maximized throughput
- Dynamic Disk Pools: Improved DDP functionality that supports 20 disk pools, and can support up to 120 SSDs
- Multi-protocol connectivity from the host: Get 10Gb iSCSI and 12Gb SAS connectivity
- Thin Provisioning: Allows allocating and consuming physical storage capacity as needed in disk pools
- SSD Cache: Increases execution speed of applications by caching previously read data (available with High Performance tier only)
- vStorage APIs for Array Integration (VAAI) support: Allows integration of array commands with VMware in the host environment
- Try and Buy: Allows 90-day trial software licenses for specific software to determine what premium features suit your environment
Protect your data
Keep your valuable information safe with these additional PowerVault options:
- Remote Replication: Replicate data to any global location that includes mirroring thin provisioned pools.
- Snapshots: Easily recover files after accidental deletion or alteration with point-in-time copies of data.
- Virtual Disk Copy (VDC): Enable quick and seamless virtual disk relocation and disk-based backup and recovery with a full, replicated copy of source data.
- Self-encrypting drives (SEDs): Render data useless to unauthorised users with drive-level encryption, even if the drive has been removed from the enclosure.
- Instant Secure Erase: Permanently and securely remove data when SEDs are repurposed or decommissioned.
Spend less managing your data
MD Storage Manager
With wizard-based array configuration and single-pane management, MD Storage Manager can alert you to problems and launch its recovery guru to automatically help troubleshoot and resolve issues.
Plug-In 5.0Monitor, manage, provision and optimize storage for performance and availability across your virtual infrastructure. You can also implement Storage Replication Adapters (SRA) to simplify management of disaster recovery with centralized recovery plans and VASA to create profiles that map to volumes and virtual machines.
Upgrade with the Premium Feature Key bundles that meet your priorities.
Ensure your data is protected with Snapshot, VDC and Remote Replication.
Speed recovery with Dynamic Disk Pools.
Dynamic Disk Pools (DDP) protect data by dynamically distributing data across pools of drives. In the event of a drive failure, DDP will identify the critical data and dynamically rebalance the data so the array can return to an optimal state faster than it would in the typical RAID environment. DDP can now support up to 20 disk pools and up to 120 SSDs.
|Drives||12 x 3.5” SAS, NL-SAS, SSD, SED||24 x 2.5” SAS, NL-SAS, SSD, SED||Mix and match up to 60 x 3.5” and 2.5” SAS, NL-SAS, SSD, SED||Mix and match up to 60 x 3.5” and 2.5” SAS, NL-SAS, SSD, SED|
|Drive capacity||• SAS 15K RPM: 300GB, 450GB, 600GB3
• NL-SAS 7.2K RPM: 500GB, 1TB, 2TB, 3TB, 4TB, 6TB, 8TB, 10TB
• SAS 10K RPM: 600GB
• SSD: 200GB, 400GB, 800GB (WI); 400GB, 800GB, 1.6TB (MU); 800GB, 1.6TB (RI) (available with 3.5” HDD carriers)
|• SAS 15K RPM: 146GB, 300GB, 600GB
• SAS 10K RPM: 146GB, 300GB, 600GB, 900GB, 1.2TB, 1.8TB
• NL-SAS 7.2K RPM: 500GB3 , 1TB3 , 2TB
• SSD: 200GB, 400GB, 800GB (WI); 400GB, 800GB, 1.6TB (MU); 800GB, 1.6TB (RI)
|• 3.5” NL-SAS 7.2K RPM: 500GB, 1TB, 2TB, 3TB, 4TB, 6TB, 8TB, 10TB
• 2.5” SAS 15K RPM: 146GB, 300GB, 600GB
• 2.5” SAS 10K RPM: 146GB, 300GB, 600GB, 900GB, 1.2TB
• 2.5” NL-SAS 7.2K RPM: 500GB, 1TB, 2TB • SSD: 200GB, 400GB, 800GB (WI); 400GB, 800GB, 1.6TB (MU); 800GB, 1.6TB (RI) (available with 3.5” HDD carriers)
|Expansion capabilities||Up to 192 drives using the MD1200 or MD1220||Up to 192 drives using the MD1200 or MD1220||Up to 180 drives using the MD3060e||Up to 2 dense expansion enclosures per MD3860f array|
|Connection||2 x 10GBASE-T iSCSI and 2 x 12Gb SAS ports per controller||2 x 10GBASE-T iSCSI and 2 x 12Gb SAS ports per controller||2 x 10GBASE-T iSCSI and 2 x 12Gb SAS ports per controller||6Gb SAS|
|Controllers||Single 4GB cache; Dual 4GB or 8GB cache||Single 4GB cache; Dual 4GB or 8GB cache||Dual 4GB or 8GB cache||Dual Expansion Management|
|Maximum cache||16GB (8GB per controller)||16GB (8GB per controller)||16GB (8GB per controller)||Controller dependent|
|Maximum host||64||64||64||Controller dependent|
|Form factor||2U rack enclosure - Dell ReadyRails II static rails for tool-less mounting in 4-post racks with square or unthreaded round holes or tooled mounting in 4-post threaded-hole racks||4U rack enclosure||4U rack enclosure|
|Management software||MD Storage Manager||Managed with controller|
|Standard features||DDP2, Thin Provisioning, VAAI, vCenter Plug-in, VASA, SRA, SED, Microsoft Windows ODX||DDP2, Thin Provisioning, VAAI, vCenter Plug-in, VASA, SRA, HPT, SSD cache, SED, Microsoft Windows ODX||Controller dependent|
|Optional features||Snapshot, VDC, SEDs, HPT, asynchronous and synchronous remote replication, HDD expansion option1||Snapshot, VDC, asynchronous and synchronous remote replication, HDD expansion option1||Controller dependent|
|OS support||Microsoft Windows, VMware, Microsoft Hyper-V, Red Hat and SUSE||Controller dependent|
|RAID levels||Support for RAID levels 0, 1, 10, 5, 6; Up to 180/1921 physical disks per group in RAID 0, 10; Up to 30 physical disks per group in RAID 5, 6; Up to 512 virtual disks; DDP2||Managed with controller|
|Physical dimensions||2U - 8.68 cm (3.42") x 44.63 cm (17.57") x 60.20 cm (23.70")||2U - 8.68 cm (3.42") x 44.63 cm (17.57") x 54.90 cm (21.61")||4U - 17.78 cm (7") x 48.26 cm (19") x 82.55 cm (32.5")||4U - 17.78 cm (7”) x 48.26 cm (19”) x 82.55 cm (32.5”)|
|Maximum weight||29.30 kg (64.6 lb)||24.22 kg (53.4 lb)||105.20 kg (232.0 lb)||105.20 kg (232.0 lb)|
|Power||AC: 600W peak output
Wattage: 2U arrays support DC power supply
|Heat dissipation (max)||2047 BTU/hr||5988 BTU/hr|
|Voltage||100 to 240V AC
|220V AC, auto ranging|
|Temperature||Operating: 10° to 35°C (50° to 95°F) with a maximum temperature gradation of 10°C per hour; 2U arrays support Fresh Air cooling, up to 35°C|
|Relative humidity||Operating: 20% to 80% (non-condensing) with a maximum humidity gradation of 10% per hour|
|Altitude||Operating: -16 m to 3048 m (-50 ft to 10,000 ft)
NOTE: For altitudes above 2950 ft, the maximum operating temperature is derated 1°F/550 ft.
|Operating: -30.5 m to 3000 m (-100 ft to 9,840 ft)
NOTE: For altitudes above 2950 ft, the maximum operating temperature is derated 1.8°F/1000 ft.
1 Premium Feature Key required for expansion beyond 120 drives.
2 MD38x0i arrays are limited to a maximum of 20 DDPs per array.
Solutions & Services:
Dell EMC offers complete end-to-end services
Optimizing the IT lifecycle is vital. Dell EMC has expert services* for all lifecycle phases that save you time and resources, reduce effort, and improve your IT experience.
ProSupport Enterprise Suite
Gain the freedom to focus on your business transformation with the support expertise and insights Dell EMC is known for across the globe. Choose the right support based on the criticality of specific systems with available automated predictive analysis, collaborative third-party assistance and service account management.
ProDeploy Enterprise Suite helps you get more out of technology starting on day one. Trust Dell EMC experts to lead deployments from basic hardware installations through planning, configuration and complex integrations. Our complete suite of deployment services and professional certifications helps you achieve business outcomes today and tomorrow.
Education Services offers an expansive suite of training services with multiple delivery methods, including instructor-led, self-paced online and virtual instructor-led training. With comprehensive and flexible training programs, we make it easy to ensure your staff has the skills they need to successfully manage and utilize your new technology to its full potential.
Consulting services give expert guidance to help you grow, optimize and transform your IT environment at your own pace and budget. We employ a broad range of certified consultants and engineers, backed by program management teams, who can deliver deep technical expertise. We give you the confidence that your project will be done right and on time.
- All Prices are Inclusive of GST
- Pricing and product availability subject to change without notice.