Dell Compellent Fast Track
Data Placement Optimization
Dell Compellent Fast Track technology enhances Automated Tiered Storage by dynamically placing the most frequently accessed data on the fastest, or outer, tracks of each drive. Meanwhile, the least active blocks of data remain on the inner tracks of all drives in each storage tier. The result is ready access to frequently used data with fewer drives than conventional enterprise network storage systems.
How to Optimize Data Placement with Fast Track
- Use up to 30 percent fewer drives without sacrifi cing performance
- Reduce power consumption by decreasing reliance on costly, high-power drives
- Radically reduce the cost of storage
- Improve the performance of every drive over time based on actual usage patterns
- Operates inside the volume to optimize data placement, improve performance and create a dynamic system
- Leverage Thin Provisioning to write only actual data to the fastest tracks of each drive
- Eliminate manual data classification and migration while lowering drive counts and power/cooling costs
- Purchase fewer drives overall and efficiently utilize lower-cost drives - all without sacrificing performance
- Reduce seek times for the most active blocks of data within each storage tier
Improving Tiered Storage
Though demand for storage capacity continues to increase, up to 80 percent of all stored data is inactive. Compellent's Automated Tiered Storage, called Data Progression, intelligently manages this inactive data across tiers of storage, cutting overall costs. To continue to meet increasing performance requirements without adding more drives, however, organizations need to extend the power of Automated Tiered Storage to every drive within the system.
Advanced Storage Optimization: Fast Track provides data optimization within each tier,
while Data Progression optimizes between tiers.
Compellent's Fast Track Extends the Benefi ts of Automated Tiered Storage
Automated Tiered Storage with Fast Track dynamically places the most frequently used data on the fastest, or outer, tracks of each drive. The result is a system that requires fewer drives to manage your data - delivering a big payoff in cost savings and power consumption without sacrifi cing performance.
- Radically Reduce Costs. Slash storage costs. Buy fewer drives overall, and efficiently utilize lower cost drives without sacrifi cing performance.
- Automatically Optimize Data Placement. Take advantage of the most advanced tiered storage solution in the industry. Automatically place active blocks on the preferred tier and the fastest track of the drive.
- Maximize Performance. Improve performance based on actual usage patterns, reducing seek times for the most active blocks of data.
Intelligent Data Movement Inside the Volume
Compellent built in an intelligent data movement engine that continually analyzes data access patterns and is the industry's first solution to dynamically optimize blocks inside the volume. Operating inside the volume creates a fl exible, highly optimized system unavailable anywhere else. This unique architecture records and tracks specifi c information about blocks of data, called metadata, including time written, time accessed, frequency of access, associated volume, storage tier, RAID level. This comprehensive information allows the Compellent SAN to intelligently assign each block to the appropriate tier of storage and to the appropriate track on a drive.
Automatically Improve the Performance of Every Drive
With Fast Track and Data Progression, as blocks become used over time, they move out to a faster performing track on the drive. This happens automatically on a daily basis without manual intervention. By continually optimizing data placement on each disk, the combination of Fast Track and Data Progression boosts the performance of every drive and reduces the total number of drives required by up to 30 percent.
Efficiently Utilize the Fastest Tracks
Only Compellent integrates Thin Provisioning with the advanced Automated Tiered Storage capability of Fast Track to deliver the industry's leading storage utilization solution. Unlike competitive solutions, Compellent places only written data on the outer edges of a drive, rather than the allocated but unused space prevalent in other storage systems. Without Compellent's unique combination, there is no advantage to optimizing volume placement on the outer tracks of a disk drive.
Reduce Power Consumption
Fast Track not only reduces the number of drives required, it allows you to use the ideal mix of disks to create a greener data center. Reduce power consumption and CO2 emissions per usable terabyte and decrease your reliance on high-power drives. Effi ciently utilize the highest performing sections of low-cost, energy-effi cient drives including SATA.
The First SAN to Automate Tiered Storage Within Every Drive
Combined, Fast Track and Data Progression create the most advanced tiered storage solution in the industry. Accelerate performance by placing the most important data closer together on the fastest tracks of every drive. By boosting the performance of every drive within the system, Compellent slashes storage costs, reduces overall drive counts and minimizes power consumption.
|Fast Track Specifications|
|Data Classification & Movement|
|Automated Data Movement Across Tracks||Yes, based on frequency of access|
|Automated Bi-directional Data Movement||Yes|
|Data Types Migrated||Writeable Data, Replay Data|
|Snapshots Migrated||Yes, Automatic|
|Additional Software Required for Data Classification and Movement||Data Progression|
|Volume Level Control||Yes, Simply Enable Volume for Fast Track|
|Maximum System Size||Unlimited|
|Maximum Volume Size||Unlimited|
|Maximum Number of Transitions Between Tiers and Across Drives||Unlimited|
|Drive Types Supported||Fibre Channel, SATA - All Rotational Speeds|