Dell EqualLogic FS8600 Unified Storage Solution
Adds NAS capability to bring scale-out unified storage to the EqualLogic ecosystem
Enhance your enterprise storage capabilities with the Dell™ Compellent™ FS8600 scale-out NAS and enable an intelligent, agile future for your data center and your business.
Enhance your file storage performance
Help lower Dell Compellent Storage Center TCO with the enhanced Fluid File System v3 (FluidFS v3) and FS8600 network-attached storage (NAS) appliance.
- Achieve up to 494,000 SPEC OPS with a true scale-out architecture that helps drive better performance at approximately one-third the price of the current market leader.1
- Scale performance linearly as your FS8600 system grows by transparently adding nodes and automatically load balancing.
- Optimize stability and concurrent connection scalability with enhanced protocol support (SMB 2.1, NFS v4).
- Add flexibility with a 10Gb iSCSI backend connectivity option to the Storage Center array.
- Upgrade your storage environment from 1GbE to 10GbE.
Achieve the best rack density of any major storage solution
- Reduce the storage capacity needed for unified storage and file-intensive workloads by up to 48%2 with policy-driven variable-block deduplication and compression.
- Easily manage up to 2PB3 of capacity within a single namespace (double capacity over previous-generation FluidFS) using up to four FS8600 appliances in two Dell Compellent Storage Center systems and Storage Center OS (SCOS) 6.x.
- Enhance IT productivity with the fully integrated Enterprise Manage 2014, a single GUI for SAN and NAS management.
- Overallocate file storage space with NAS thin provisioning and grow volumes unencumbered by the physical capacity of the NAS pool.
- Enable code and workflow testing against nonproductive data sets with thin volume cloning.
Scale with ease
Expand file storage performance and capacity within your existing storage infrastructure. The FS8600 with FluidFS v3 provides a flexible scale-out NAS solution that helps prevent the need for painful and expensive forklift upgrades.
- Simplify data growth by managing one file system of up to 2PB3 within a single namespace.
- Automatically reduce capacity needed to store file data by duplicating and compressing data that has not been accessed for 30 days or more.
- Scale to the best rack density of any major storage solution with FS8600, SCOS 6.4 and Dell Compellent SC280 dense enclosures (up to 2PB3 of raw data per 48U rack).
Global services and support
Dell Services can help reduce IT complexity, lower costs and eliminate inefficiencies by making IT and business solutions work harder for you. The Dell Services team delivers distinctive capabilities, including Copilot support and optimization as well as full data migration solutions to facilitate consolidation from multiple file systems. Dell takes a holistic view of your needs and designs solutions for your environment and business objectives while using established delivery methods, local talent and in-depth domain knowledge to help lower your total cost of ownership.
Scale up and out as your storage requirements grow
The Dell Compellent FS8600 NAS appliance offers a flexible solution for capacity- and performance-intensive file workloads. Based on the Dell Fluid File System (FluidFS) version 3, its scale-out architecture supports a single namespace up to 2PB, plus linear performance expansion up to 494,000 SPECsfs file OPS and 9.2GB/sec throughput.
The FS8600 can help you keep pace with constantly growing file storage needs. As they grow and evolve, the FS8600 scales both storage capacity and performance non-distruptively and independent of one another within a single namespace, preventing an expensive platform rip-and-replace. Plus, as the FS8600 system scales, load-balancing continues to optimize performance.
Manage your data efficiently while controlling costs
As the industry's first primary storage solution with policy-driven, variable block data reduction, the FS8600 can decrease the capacity needed to store common enterprise data sets by 48%. The linear performance of the FS8600 NAS appliance keeps CAPEX remarkably low, enabling it to cost-effectively address performance-intensive file workloads. The Dell Compellent FS8600 with FluidFS has better file OPS performance at approximately 1/3 the price of the current market leader, and delivers the best price-performance profile among major NAS vendors. To further enhance performance, the FS8600 leverages the strengths of the Compellent Storage Center platform such as:
- Automated tiering to keep frequently accessed data on high-performance drives, and move passive data to lower cost, capacity-optimized drives
- Thin provisioning to provide on-demand allocation of blocks
- Optimization for solid-state drives
- Unified block and file management through Enterprise Manager 2014
Keep your data protected with built-in reliability
The inherent resilience of the FS8600 gives you another layer of data protection without adding complexity.
- Active-active controller pairs provide instantaneous failover without introducing idle resources
- Features like cache mirroring, battery-based backup power supply, and failsafe journaling protect metadata to help maintain data integrity
- Redirect-on-write file-level snapshots require only one I/O per write, avoiding the performance degradation of the traditional copy-on-write approach
- Asynchronous replication complements the robust disaster recovery capabilities of Dell Compellent Storage Center™ at the file system level
- Award-winning Dell Compellent Copilot Support™ provides complete coverage for your end-to-end storage solution
|CPU per controller||Dual Intel E5620 4 core / 12MB L3/ 80W / 2.4GHz|
|Memory||24GB DDR3 1066 MHz per controller (48GB per appliance)|
|Capacity scalability||Up to 2PB usable file capacity per NAS cluster, regardless of controller cluster size (requires two Storage Centers to reach max capacity)|
|Cluster scalability||Up to 4 FS8600 appliances (8 controllers) in a single NAS cluster|
|8Gb FC configuration options||Frontend and interconnect traffic (two options):
1GbE: (2) Intel 1GbE quad-port NICs per controller, copper only, RJ-45
10GbE: (2) Intel 10GbE dual-port NICs per controller, copper/optical, SFP+ standards
Backend: (1) QLogic dual-port FC HBA per controller, SFP+ standards
Switch is required; direct connect to the SAN is not supported
|10Gb iSCSI configuration options||Frontend: (1) Intel 10GbE dual-port NIC per controller, copper/optical, SFP+ standards
Backend and interconnect: (1) Intel 10GbE dual-port NIC per controller, copper/optical, SFP+ standards
Switch is required; direct connect to the SAN is not supported; upgrades from FC to iSCSI or vice versa are not supported
|Storage arrays supported||Series 40 or SC8000 controllers
SCOS 6.2.2 and newer; Enterprise Manager 2014 R1 or newer
|NFS v3 file protocol support||NFS over UDP and TCP, Kerberos 5 security options, UTF8 and ASCII support, NLM|
|NFS v4 file protocol support||Kerberos 5 security options, UTF8 and ASCII support, pseudo file system, locking and share modes|
|SMB file protocol support||SMB 1.0, 2.0 and 2.1
Durable file handles, SMB signing (MD5 and HMAC-SHA-256), large MTU, leasing
|NAS volumes||Max NAS volumes per NAS cluster: 1,024
Max NAS volume size: as large as the file system/namespace
|Shares/exports||Max number of CIFS shares per system: 1,024
Max number of NFS mounts/exports per system: 1,024
|Concurrent active CIFS connections||Max for single appliance: 10,000
Max for a 4-appliance cluster: 40,000
("active" defined as clients engaging in I/O in the last 15 minutes)
|User authentication||For CIFS clients: Kerberos 5 and NTLMv2 on Microsoft Active Directory Server
For NFS v4 clients: Kerberos 5
|Directory services||Windows CIFS and NFS clients: Microsoft Active Directory 2003, 2003R2 2008R2, 2012
Linux/UNIX clients: NIS and LDAP
|Max quotas||Max quota rules per volume: 512
Max user quotas per system: 100,000
|Local users||Max number of local users per cluster: 100
Max number of local groups per cluster: 100
|Directories||Max number of directories per appliance: 32 billion
Max number of directories per 4-appliance cluster: 128 billion
Max number of files in a directory: 1 million
Max directory depth: 255
|Files||Max file size: 10TB
Max number of files per appliance: 64 billion
Max number of files per 4-appliance cluster: 256 billion
Max file name length: 512 bytes
|Snapshots||Redirect-on-write snapshots and thin volume cloning
Max number of snapshots per NAS volume: 512
Max number of snapshots per FS8600 system: 10,000
Max number of snapshot policies per system: 512
|Replication||Asynchronous to peer FS8600 appliance(s), like-to-like cluster sizes only (client network speeds and array configurations can vary)
Max number of replication partners (or destinations): 16
Max number of replication policies per FS8600 system: 1,024
Max number of simultaneous volume replications: 10 outgoing, 20 incoming
Max volumes enabled for replication: 100
|NDMP backup||Remote and three-way NDMP over Ethernet ports (backup over backend Fibre Channel not supported)
Certified with Quest NetVault Backup 9; CommVault Simpana 9.x; Tivoli Storage Manager 6.3; Symantec NetBackup 7.x and Backup Exec 2010R3 and 2012
|ICAP antivirus||Certified with Symantec ScanEngine 5.2 and Protection Engine 7.0; McAfee Virus Scan Enterprise 8.8 and Enterprise for Storage 1.0.2; Sophos Endpoint Security and Control 10.0; TrendMicro InterScan Web Security Suite 3.1|
|Thin provisioning||File-level and block-level NAS volume- or file system-level thin provisioning to oversubscribe the file system capacity visible to users|
|Data reduction||Post-process policy-based variable block (128KB +/- 64KB) data deduplication and LZPS compression per NAS volume|
|Enterprise Manager 2014 R1 and FluidFS v3 CLI|
|Height||8.64 cm (3.4 in)|
|Width||44.63 cm (17.6 in) (does not include rack flange)|
|Depth||81.30 cm (32.0 in) (includes bezel and controllers installed)|
|Weight||69.5 lbs. (31.5 kg)|
|Rack support||ReadyRails II static rails for tool-less mounting in 4-post racks with square or unthreaded round holes or tooled mounting in 4-post threaded-hole racks|
|Primary power supply||2 PSUs per appliance|
|Backup power supply||1 battery per controller, 2 batteries per appliance|
|Input voltage||90-264 VAC|
|Heat dissipation||2446 BTU/hr|
|Line frequency||47-63 Hz|
|Current||10.5Amp at 90 VAC steady state, 5.2Amp at 180 VAC steady state|
|Environmental Operating Conditions|
|Temperature||Operating: 10° to 40°C
Non-operating: -40°C to 70°C
|Relative Humidity||Operating: 8% to 85% non-condensing
Non-operating: 5% to 95% non-condensing
|Maximum Vibration||Operating: 0.26 GRMS (5-350Hz @ 0.0002G2/Hz for 5 minutes)
Non-operating: 1.88 GRMS @ 10-500 Hz
Dell Compellent Services:
Award-winning service with over 96 percent customer satisfaction
Dell Compellent™ Copilot Support delivers proactive, comprehensive 24x7 technical support that covers the storage center infrastructure. Operating out of a state-of-the-art U.S. call center, Dell Compellent Copilot engineers continuously monitor system performance and alert customers of potential issues. Dell Compellent Copilot Support provides:
- 24x7 access to highly trained Dell Compellent Copilot Support engineers.
- Priority or next business day on-site response by Dell Compellent-certified technicians.
- Priority, next business day or UPS ground delivery of replacement parts.
- Storage system monitoring via integrated SupportAssist technology.
Dell Compellent Copilot Support enables you to choose the right level of phone support, on-site4 support and parts delivery for your unique business needs. Every call is answered by a highly trained copilot engineer, who takes ownership of the entire storage infrastructure, including third-party technology partner products.
|Speed of response||Protection||Premium proactive|
|Call center: A phone call away — Perfect for enterprise storage environments where immediate phone assistance by a highly trained support engineer is a must to speed issue resolution and avoid unplanned downtime.
On-site: Priority or next business day — Choose from priority (4/8/24-hour, depending on location) or next business day on-site5 response by a Dell Compellent-certified technician.
Parts delivery: Priority or next business day — Choose from priority (4/8/24-hour, depending on location) or next business day parts delivery. UPS ground shipping also available.
Data management and protection
SupportAssist — Provides enhanced proactive support capabilities through:
Dell Compellent Services
Dell Compellent ServicesDell Services storage experts go beyond everyday administration to help you improve the performance and utilization of your Dell Compellent Storage Center system. The Dell Compellent Services portfolio provides system installation and implementation, as well as training. From disaster recovery planning to physical relocation, the Dell Services team is available to provide professional assistance when you need it.
- Dell Compellent Deployment. Implement fast. Implement correctly. Implement once. No need for your IT staff to spend time researching correct processes and advanced configuration task sequences or purchasing the correct tools. We can reduce costs and relieve your IT department of the time-consuming implementation tasks that otherwise divert valuable IT resources from business-critical activities.
We bring two unmatched values to every implementation: deep knowledge of our products and broad experience deploying them. We do thousands of deployments every year across the globe, in just about every type of customer environment. From this vast experience we have acquired best practices that are integrated into our processes. As a result, we are very well aware of what undocumented activity must occur to avoid mistakes. In addition to doing it right the first time, we rarely encounter situations or issues for which we are not prepared. So, you can be confident your new Dell Compellent storage system is installed properly, configured per the design specifications and that your data is migrated safely from your legacy storage system without disrupting operations or end users.
- Dell Compellent Copilot Optimize. Through the personal assistance of a dedicated support expert, we help you improve system utilization and performance with proactive reviews, health checks and evaluations, as well as advanced configuration and software support. Ensure a highly available and optimal performing storage area network (SAN) through ongoing best practice guidance while minimizing diagnostic troubleshooting and reducing service calls.
Dell Education Services Decrease downtime, improve utilization and ensure business continuity with storage training from Dell Education Services. With Compellent training from Dell, Compellent Administrators will learn to perform key administrative tasks for a Compellent Storage Center and effectively manage all tools associated with Storage Center operations.
Dell Storage Consulting Services Storage consulting from Dell helps customers develop transformational strategies to meet their complex data management business needs. By engaging Dell, customers can optimize the way that data is stored, protected and managed, allowing customers to free up valuable resources, budget and time. Here are just some of the areas with which we can assist you:
- The consolidation of storage infrastructure within one/multiple data centers
- The optimization of storage infrastructure for virtual environments
- The development and adoption of data protection processes or improvement of backup operational processes
- The classification and categorization of data for storage tiering
- The planning, design and implementation of an IT Disaster Recovery plan or simply Data Disaster Recovery
- All Prices are Inclusive of GST
- Pricing and product availability subject to change without notice.